An analytical essay requires you to present an argument about whatever it is you are analyzing.
These essays are given to measure a learner’s understanding of a given topic.
In most cases, you are asked to analyze another piece of literature, but you can also analyze an idea or an issue.
To provide good analysis, you will have to break down the topic and provide evidence to support your claim or argument.
Steps To Follow To Write A Good Analytical Essay
Follow the following steps to prepare well and produce a good analytical essay:
- Familiarize yourself with the topic
You will not provide a good analysis if you don’t understand the topic.
The best way to understand a topic is to read widely about it.
So, the first step of writing an analytical essay is gathering as many relevant resources as possible and going through them.
2. Develop a thesis statement
In your introduction, the lecturer will be looking for a thesis statement.
A strong thesis proves that you prepared your writing well and you have a good understanding of the topic.
A strong thesis:
- Indicates your stand or your argument
- Informs the reader about the significance of the argument
- Offers possible solutions to the argument
3. Outline your main ideas
Write down your main ideas – the ideas that you will discuss in the body of your paper.
For an analysis of an idea or issue, you are looking for topic sentences to discuss in every paragraph.
When analyzing a piece of literature, you are looking for evidence in the work that will support your thesis.
4. Determine the type of appeal to use
In an analytical essay, you can choose to appeal to:
- Emotions: which is often used when analyzing literature
- Logic: which involves persuading a reader
- Credibility: by proving personal or professional merit.
Evaluate the effectiveness of each type of appeal and pick the one with a stronger impact.
5. Write the essay
At this point, you are ready to write the first draft of your analytical essay.
You will have to revise it to make sure it has the ideal appeal, and it clearly communicates your argument.
Structure of an analytical essay
An analytical essay has the following main sections:
In the introduction:
- Capture the reader’s attention by beginning with some kind of hook, such as an engaging statement or a question.
- Introduce the reader to your main ideas, and your point of view, by writing your thesis statement.
2. The body
The body includes a discussion of your analysis on the given topic.
This is where you write your main ideas and the evidence to back up your point of view.
Remember not to mix up your points; every point should be on its own paragraph.
Each paragraph should start with a sentence that introduces a point, followed by supporting sentences that expound more on the point.
3. The conclusion
A good conclusion for an analytical essay will:
- Provide a summary of the main points discussed in the body
- Include a restatement of the thesis
- Provide a good connection between the thesis and your main points
Additional Tips On Writing An Analytical Essay
Follow the following tips to juice up your analytical essay:
- Include contradicting opinions
What points would someone on the other side of your argument have?
Including contradicting points does not undermine your argument, rather, it adds value to your argument.
- Balance between positivity and negativity
If you have more positive points than negative ones, discuss the negative ones first then later discuss the positive ones.
Similarly, if your essay leans on the negative side, first discuss the positive points.
However, if there is a balance between positivity and negativity, always start with the positive points before introducing the limitations.
- Indicate the success of your argument
In the concluding paragraph, inform the reader how successful your argument was, especially if you included contradicting points.
Did your research change your point of view?
- Explain the relevance of your topic
Can your readers understand the relevance of your topic or argument?
A topic or argument becomes relevant if people can relate it to their daily lives.
You can include the relevance of the topic of discussion in the introduction and the conclusion.
That’s how to write a good analytical essay.
Remember an analytical essay provides an avenue to air your views and convince people of your point of view on a given topic.
By following the tips shared above you will be able to do just that.
For professional help with an analytical essay, contact us today.