How To Choose A Dissertation Topic
Writing a dissertation is a difficult task, not an impossible one.
It is a task that requires you to commit enough time and proper preparation.
The first step of preparation is selecting a topic.
And, that is the focus of this article – how to select a dissertation topic.
Why The Dissertation Topic Is So Important
The quality of paper you write is dependent on the dissertation topic you choose.
Therefore, you need to put some extra effort to come up with a creative and unique dissertation topic.
The topic, should not only guide a reader on what to expect from your paper but also show that you are capable as a writer and you know what you are doing in your field of study.
Unfortunately, when given a dissertation, most students rush through the process of selecting a dissertation topic, and either end up with an issue that is difficult to research or one that has been covered so many times before that their paper does not add any value or sounds copied.
Tips For Selecting A Good Dissertation Topic
- Find a topic on an issue or subject that you are familiar with and have a deep understanding. Choosing a topic you are familiar with will make your dissertation writing easier since you will be able to quickly gather information and data, thereby adequately explaining your main ideas and points.
- Capture the reader’s attention. The topic is the first thing a reader sees. In those few words, it should capture the readers’ attention. So, try and pick a topic that readers would be interested in.
- Analyse your writing skills. Select a title from which you can come up with a productive dissertation that contributes something constructive to your field. Select a complicated topic, and you might not be able to complete the dissertation.
- Select a topic with a positive impact on your research skills. A dissertation should serve as an opportunity to improve your research skills. So, select a topic that will allow you to conduct a comprehensive research. And, preserve your notes and research for future reference.
- Use your creative capabilities. Creativity in the dissertation topic allows you to get original points to discuss in the body of the dissertation. There will be a good flow of ideas during the writing process.
- Ask your tutors and instructors for advice. Selecting a unique topic for your dissertation will not be an easy task. So, consider taking advice from your tutors and instructors – you might just find the inspiration you need to come up with a good topic.
- Consider custom dissertation writing agencies. That is the easy way out, which might be your last resort if you are unable to come up with a dissertation topic. Companies offering these services have experienced writers specialised in dissertation topics in different fields.
What Makes A Good Dissertation Topic
An excellent dissertation topic has the following characteristics:
- It is unique; thereby informative and genuine
- Captures the attention of the reader by being both creative and informative
- It is relevant to the subject and relates to a real-life issue
The title is the first thing a reader will use to judge the quality of your dissertation.
It shows how unique your work is.
Therefore, make sure you follow the tips explained above to come up with a good topic for your dissertation.