What is an Argumentative Essay Outline
An outline, to an essay, is a plan for a building.
If you were to build a house without a plan, you would likely encounter numerous problems, and the final product will not be as good as expected.
If a good plan minimizes the risk of errors and getting stuck, why not create it?
Students start writing essays without an outline mostly because they do not appreciate the advantages of an outline.
And even some who know its benefits do not know how to develop an outline.
Having a defined outline makes the essay writing process much simpler. It helps you logically present your ideas and saves you from getting stuck with writer’s block.
We have developed the following guide on creating a high-quality argumentative essay outline with that in mind.
People also read
- 16 Easy Argumentative Essay Examples for Students
- 11 Essay Outline Templates to Structure Your Writing
What Is An Argumentative Essay?
An argumentative essay is a type of essay that takes a stance on an issue. In a good argumentative essay, a writer attempts to persuade readers to understand and support their point of view about a topic by stating their reasoning and providing evidence to back it up.
Argumentative essay writing is a common assignment for high school and college students. Generally, good argumentative essay topics are related to science, technology, politics, and health care.
In an informative or persuasive essay, you may stick to one of the sides of an argument in a discussion. In an argumentative essay, you must address the opposing arguments. Believe it or not, this will make your argument stronger. It demonstrates you’re not blind to contradictory viewpoints and are prepared to stand strong.
Argumentative essays require students to use strong arguments to support their points of view and even create arguments to refute opposing views.
It is important to note that you need to use credible evidence to back up your arguments.
Therefore, you have to dedicate ample time to research and gather data and information.
Combine hard evidence with persuasive language, and you will develop an excellent argumentative essay.
Argumentative Essay Outline Graphic Organizer(PDF)
You can use this argumentative essay outline and a graphic organizer to structure your essay efficiently.argument-essay-outline-graphic-organizer
Argumentative Essay Outline Template
- Hook: Begin with an anecdote, a piece of statistic, an intriguing question, or a controversial statement.
- Explain why the topic of your argumentative essay is important and why people should care.
- State your thesis statement: What is your point of view? (Also, you could briefly state the arguments you will use to back up your claim).
- Argument #1: State your argument by crafting it into a topic sentence. Use an in-citation from one of your sources to support it. Mention different points to support the argument.
- Argument #2: State your argument by crafting it into a topic sentence. Use an in-citation from one of your sources to support it. Mention different points to support the argument.
- Argument #3: State your argument by crafting it into a topic sentence. Use an in-citation from one of your sources to support it. Mention different points to support the argument.
NB: You could show how your arguments refute a related opposing view in each paragraph or section.
- Restate your thesis statement
- Sum up your arguments
- Conclude by asking a rhetorical question based on your argument or asking your readers to do something about the essay topic of discussion.
Copy the template above and use it each time you prepare to write an argumentative essay.
Argumentative Essay Outline Example
Now, let us put the information above into perspective.
The following is an outline prepared by one of our writers, preparing to write an argumentative essay titled: Isn’t illegalizing abortion violating women’s rights?
- Hook: Mention statistical data on the prevalence of abortion.
- Explain why there is a divided opinion on the topic of abortion. Highlight why a woman might opt for abortion and why some people are against the practice.
- State your thesis: There are concrete reasons you legalized abortion in the first place: amending the constitution to illegalize abortion disregards women’s rights and will cost some women important opportunities.
- Argument #1: Women have a right to their bodies. Support this argument using different points drawn from your sources.
- Argument #2: Illegalizing it will increase abortion-related fatalities, as people will still seek abortion services. Support this argument using different points drawn from your sources.
- Argument #3: It is unfair for a mistake to shape the rest of a woman’s life. You could support such an argument by referring to rape and unwanted pregnancy cases.
- Restate your thesis: Abortion should remain a choice if we are to term ourselves a progressive generation.
- Sum up your arguments.
- Conclude by asking a rhetorical question based on your argument or asking your readers to do something about the topic of discussion. For instance: Why are politician diverting their attention from the war on terror to start a war on ovaries?
Argumentative Essay Outline Examples
Below are sample argumentative essay outline formats you can use in writing an argumentative essay.
Argumentative Essay Outline Example (PDF)argumentative-essay-outline-example
Argumentative Essay Outline Worksheet (PDF)argumentative-essay-outline-worksheet
5 Paragraph Argumentative Essay Outline (PDF)5-paragraph-argumentative-essay-outline
MLA Format Argumentative Essay Outline (PDF)mla-format-argumentative-essay-outline
Social Media Argumentative Essay Outline (PDF)social-media-argumentative-essay-outline
Abortion Argumentative Essay Outline (PDF)abortion-argumentative-essay-outline
Gun Control Argumentative Essay Outline (PDF)gun-control-argumentative-essay-outline
We have shown you how to create an argumentative essay outline, provided you with solid outline templates and argumentative essay examples, and demonstrated how to use the template.
So, you only need to research and start writing your argumentative essay.
Copy and save the outline template above or bookmark this page for future reference.
Hire An Experienced Essay Writer For your Paper
Getting a good grade on your essay doesn’t have to be hard. Contact us and get the best essay writing help from an argumentative writer. Please get the help you need from professional writers with our essay writing service today. We assist with all papers, including argumentative essays and research paper outlines. Place your order now to get started right away!